A few tidbits about having those chocolate dipped strawberries.....
1) Dark Chocolate has been shown in studies to lower blood pressure
2) Dark Chocolate has been shown in studies that it lowers your bad cholesterol LDL
3) Contains Serotonin, a natural mood-boosting anti-depressant
4) Stimulates endorphins
5) The saturated fats in dark chocolate do not elevate cholesterol levels
6) Dark chocolate is hearty in antioxidants
Team that up with Strawberries:
1) A cup of strawberries is approximately 50 calories
2) Strawberries are a natural source of Folate & Potassium
3) Strawberries are an excellent source of Dietary Fiber & Vitamin C
4) Strawberries are an excellent source of Maganese which utilizes several key nutrients, keeping your
bones strong and healthy, helping your body to synthesize fatty acids and cholesterol, helps maintain normal blood sugar levels , promotes optimal function of your thyroid gland, maintains the health of your nerves and protects your cells from free-radical damage.
So today I toast my Valentine with Dark Chocolate dipped strawberries. 2 tbs of 70% dark chocolate teamed up with a cups worth of organic strawberries. Total calories on this plate of strawberries made in 2 minutes by me, 190 calories.
Here is some typical other Valentine's Day choices:
2 Hershey kisses: 50 cal / 2 gm fat
1 Dark chocolate dipped strawberry = 48 cal / 2 gm fat (not homemade!)
1 Lindt truffle = 80 cal / 6 gm fat
1 Godiva truffle = 110 cal / 13 gm fat
1 Godiva liquer truffle = 100 cal / 7 gm fat
1 small piece of chocolate fudge (1 piece, .6oz) = 70 calories, 1.8g fat
Chocolate martini (1) = 438 calories, 20g fat
1 pound box of chocolate = 1400 calories
I have many Valentine's in my life with my husband and family, but I am staying focused on #1, just as the flight attendant says, "put your oxygen mask on first, before helping others". I am taking care of #1 so I can love the ones that love me.
Happy Valentine's Day to YOU!!